RE: 10gR2 RAC

  • From: "Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sarah_Chen@xxxxxxxxx" <Sarah_Chen@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 05:43:11 +1000

Nope, it just opens up a whole lot more questions.  :)

Having two environments on one cluster is, of course, possible, but generally not desirable.  That's the case in single instance as well, but probably more so for a RAC environment (to my humble way of thinking anyway!)  The sorts of issues you're going to come across are:

1.        Development is usually a resource intensive operation.  Not so much because of the amount of data which may or may not be the same as Production (I won’t enter into the “should or should not” argument here), but because of things like compilation of programs and so on.  How are you going to ensure that Production has the resources it requires?  After all, it’s Production that runs your business, not Development.

2.       How can you test the effect of a patch for CRS (for example)?  In general, there is one CRS version running on a cluster.  If a patch comes out to that version, in the configuration you’re talking about you end up installing directly into the Production environment – generally considered not a Good Thing ™

3.       Probably more worrying is there is no mention in your email of a Test environment.  Do you have one on another cluster somewhere or do you simply move code from Development to Production?

4.       How do you test the impact on your application of hardware failures?  As a simple example, how do you test failover on node failure in such an environment?

And those are just the questions that immediately come to mind.  I’m sure there are others if I put my mind to it.  ;)

Pete

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"

Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA