10g recovery scenario

  • From: William B Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:57:12 -0600

 Hi all,

Thursday I get to purposely break my (10g) production database to test
data recovery scenarios.

Before doing it, I'll do an export of my schemas and a complete cold
backup (just in case). I also have flashback enabled, and the scenario is
to delete an Oracle datafile while the database is running.

This is on a Windows 2003 Server box with full Veritas backups performed
nightly of everything except the ORACLE_HOME directory (it kept killing
Oracle backing that up, so I excluded from backups). The server has 3
disks configured as RAID 5.

I know it's REAL bad practice to do this on a production system, but this
IS the government, and congress has passed some BS rules that we have to
do this.

Any gotcha's I should know about before relagating myself to a full
re-install and import?  Lol

Fortunately, no transactions will be going on at the point of file
deletion, so being Windows, I can try just bringing the file back from the
Recycle Bin.

Thanks.

Bill Ferguson
U.S. Geological Survey - Minerals Information Team
PO Box 25046, MS-750
Denver, Colorado 80225
Voice (303)236-8747 ext. 321 Fax (303)236-4208