Re: 10g & partitioning

  • From: mhthomas <qnxodba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 12:06:15 -0400

in-line

On Apr 8, 2005 11:27 PM, Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I DO think so, so does apparently Oracle:
>
>  From http://www.oracle.com/database/db_options.html
>
> Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Options
>
> Oracle offers a selection of options to enhance the power of Oracle
> Database and meet your specific needs. Advanced options are available at
> additional cost.

1) This is interesting. No doubt the confusion comes from this
document, as well:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/oracle10g/pdf/twp_general_10gdb_product_family_0104.pdf

If we look at the difference between RAC and Partitioning options in
the above document it is not clear, actually quite misleading for any
non-DBA.Oracle compares SE and EE and for RAC mentions its an extra
cost option for EE, but not for SE. Obviously RAC is free for SE,
which is the expanation. But, on partitioning it states only 'N' under
SE and 'Y' under EE. If you were unfamiliar with SE options, and
compared only these two options, you probably conclude the same thing
as Leyi. My managers might, too.

2) However, it is quite clear here (partitioning is extra cost on EE):

http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/eplext.pdf

The pricelist might be a better reference when trying to convince your
managers. ;-)

HTH

Mike Thomas