Re: 10g on unix. Partitions... Tablespaces... and best practices

  • From: Madhu Sreeram <madhusreeram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: awells@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 09:57:08 -0500

I work with database that has >500 tablespaces, and of course it is all
fine. The only problem is queries hitting dba_extents is slow, but that
could be due to many datafiles, not necessarily due to many tablespaces.

When you have a database using raw partitions, the number of tablespaces is
a big restriction, since the Linux allowed only 256 raw devices (not sure
about the current versions, but at least the versions that came during 9i).
For database systems on 9i RAC , where majority of them were based of raw
partitions, this was a serious restriction. I think the consolidation of
tablespaces in ERP, to my knowledge, was driven by this limitation.

-Madhu Sreeram