RE: 10g on unix. Partitions... Tablespaces... and best practices

  • From: "Herring Dave - dherri" <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <awells@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:30:35 -0600

Sorry for the late reply, April, but I'm just getting up-to-speed after a
little vacation.

If you alter "older" tablespaces to read-only, wouldn't you be able to ignore
growth since, well, they're read-only and shouldn't be growing?  That'd leave
you with just a few tablespaces to worry about and with all the available space
monitoring tools this should be pretty light.

Also, be careful with read-only tablespaces and backups.  You'll obviously want
a backup that includes each read-only tablespace, right after you altered it to
read- only, and then pull those tapes out of the regular rotation.  Otherwise,
if you have a 4 week tape rotation, for example, after 4 weeks you wouldn't
have an available backup of the read-only tablespace, assuming you skip
read-only tablespaces as you suggested.

Dave

Dave Herring, DBA |   A c x i o m  M I C S / C S O
630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 wireless | 630-944-4989 fax