RE: 10g on Win32

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:05:06 +0000

> On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 01:25, Niall Litchfield wrote:
> > Up to a point Lord Copper. ...
>
> If that refers to my recent post on quoting, I suppose
> their are alternatives.

It is actually a literary reference which has passed into somewhat common
currency in the UK - but probably nowhere else. In the novel Scoop by Evelyn
Waugh when the editor was asked by the paper's owner Lord Copper about some
fact if the owner was correct the editor would say 'definitely, Lord Copper',
if the owner was incorrect then he would say 'Up to a point, Lord Copper'. Thus
the usage when you really wish to disagree with someone but not just straight
out say "No that is incorrect". Here, I was trying to say that yes there is a
new Oracle Home Selector but not finding it is entirely reasonable. So I should
apologize for causing offense by using a slang term, which I am more than happy
to do.

As far as quoting goes I do recognize what lies behind the request, and agree
with it, even though it has already caught me out. It can be difficult to snip
without making the argument difficult to follow especially for those of us with
brain dead email clients, but it doesn't mean that leaving 500 lines of text in
to say 'yes I agree entirely but this only applies from 9i on' is pretty much a
waste of everyones time.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission
+44 117 975 7805

This email contains information intended for
the addressee only.  It may be confidential
and may be the subject of legal and/or
professional privilege.  Any dissemination,
distribution, copyright or use of this
communication without prior permission of
the sender is strictly prohibited.