Re: 10g introduction

  • From: Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:12:44 -0500

I would actually argue the opposite.  While you miss out on a migration
by starting out at 10g, you get to be a guinea pig for Oracle's latest
and greatest.  If you take a look at the 10g bugs that are out there,
many of the serious ones are not being fixed until 10g release 2 in
april.  In terms of getting the highest quality support from Oracle, we
have found the opposite to be true as well.  Many tech support folks at
Oracle have experience and familiarity with the ins and outs of 9i -
10g is new ground for many of them (though, I will say - we have come a
long way since 10g's original introduction, where open TARs would
usually receive 9i-specific solutions to 10g problems).

If you start with 9i and find some critical problem that Oracle
won't/can't fix, there's always 10g.  But why start with the less
stable, newer software if you don't have to?

Ask yourself: is there a compelling reason, either from a feature or a
business perspective, that you have to run 10g?  If not, 9i is probably
your choice.  Once your application is up and running in production,
you will have a good sense of what it asks of the database, both from a
feature and a performance standpoint.  That will help aid the migration
to 10g when it is the generally accepted standard oracle version,
including allowing you to have improved awareness of what needs to work
correctly and test accordingly.

We have 10g customers using our software, and the key for them was that
10g had some "show-stopper" feature that made 9i impractical.  In just
about every case, we have seen their 10g rollouts go much less smoothly
than the equivalent 9i rollouts we handle.  Of course and as always,
your milage may vary.

Thanks,
Matt

--