Re: 10g RAC without vendor clusterware

  • From: Alexander Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CMarquez@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:42:22 +0100

Chris,

Oracle positions its clusterware to be used INSTEAD of 3-rd party
products. ASM there plays role of volume management. Oracle CRS can
work standalone as well as on top of your existing clusterware (if
supported depending on vendor/platform). So in latter case you don't
lose it... in the fist case you just don't have it with Oracle CRS. :)

Btw, if you know that ASM is in fact an Oracle database running in
mount state without any datafiles, would you ever seriously consider
using it?! ;-)
And guess what? When this central ASM instance goes down, all
databases connected to it (read using ASM) are going down as well.

Regards,
Alex

--
Best regards,