RE: 10g RAC without vendor clusterware

  • From: "Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "qnxodba@xxxxxxxxx" <qnxodba@xxxxxxxxx>, "Koen Van Langenhove" <Koen.Van_Langenhove@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:27:01 +1100

All

I've likewise been too busy to follow this entire thread (as a matter of fa=
ct I've largely been deleting oracle-l messages unread since I don't have t=
he time to look at them), so let me add some comments with my Product Manag=
er hat on (not that I'm a PM but anyway you know what I mean!)  Apologies i=
f some of this has already been covered.  Please, if you have any comments =
on this make sure you send them to me personally as well as the list since =
that way I'm sure to see them and pay more attention.  :)

For starters, the adoption rate for ASM is quite high within the 10g custom=
er base.  We are having some challenges with CRS conflicting with some mult=
ipathing drivers due to a miscount conflict and there is some push back (in=
 the form of Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) but those are natural at this stag=
e of the roll out.  To address the specific points made in this email threa=
d, I will provide the following as counter points:

1) The references on www.oracle.com home page for GRID include video testim=
ony, ROI studies and some very compelling quotes in that material. =

2) The collection of video testimonials is posted on the web site under htt=
p://www.oracle.com/broadband and will be updated with one single video whic=
h has 6 segments on customer speaking only about ASM.

3) The ROI studies include a quantification of 20% improvement in storage u=
tilization when using ASM.  See page 6 of the Aggregate study (dated Dec 20=
04) which can also be found on the external web site. =

4) The current version of the Oracle Magazine has a success story about Tal=
k America and focuses exclusively on their use of Automatic Storage Managem=
ent.  See page 23 of the March/April Oracle Magazine (http://www.oracle.com=
/oraclemagazine). =

5) The single point of failure question is addressed by having ASM in a GRI=
D environment.  ASM can manage a pool of clustered storage and if one node =
were to fail, the other nodes continue.  ASM is no more of a risk to HA tha=
n any other file system or volume manager.  It is implemented in a manner t=
hat makes the fundamental mechanics of the I/O interaction very robust.  It=
 is holding up very well in customer accounts under the toughest of testing=
.=

6) Using any hardware in an HA environment requires building redundancy acr=
oss many layers of the infrastructure.  A single NAS head could be the weak=
 link if all your data depends on that resource being there.  The approach =
to the best HA in that case would be to mirror across more than one NAS hea=
d.  ASM can add this capability as an added benefit if one configures ASM r=
edundancy with Failure Groups.  Adding RAC and ASM gets another layer of pr=
otection.  Then Data Guard or remote mirroring as yet another.  What ASM (a=
nd other Oracle 10 features) delivers is a more cost effective way of build=
ing an HA configuration.

7) The issues with ASMLIB need to be addressed separate from Automatic Stor=
age Management as it is an extension which is available today on only Linux=
.  The development and bug fixing is done by a separate team of engineers w=
ho are currently struggling with far too many binary incompatible versions =
of Linux versions.  That said, the bug fixes have been fairly fast on the c=
ore Linux platforms and the delay has been mainly seen in porting it to all=
 the other Linux platforms that exist.  (Red Hat vs. SuSE, 32 bit vs. 64 bi=
t not to mention all the hardware variations like and z series, AMD or Itan=
ium)... Let's not confuse core ASM capabilities with some challenges which =
exist for an extension which is enabled for some specific platform that com=
es in too many flavours today.

End of PM speak.  :)
 =

Pete
 =

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
 =

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA