Re: 10g RAC with Veritas SF

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:39:43 -0500

Alex,
The problem that you will probably face is integration between two
clusterware. CRS will still work behind the scenes and still can make
a decision before VCS does it or CRS might "think" that something is
wrong with the cluster while VCS will be just fine.
Another area to watch is VIP configuration and stupid dependencies in
10g. Even though 10g Release 2 lifted some limitations.
Anyway, those might not be relevant to you unless you environment is
complex and has really stringent HA requirements.
Also SF5 is quite new and I'm not sure Oracle has already been
certified on it (I remember it took a while even on SF4).
Another problem area I observed is of political matters - seems that
Oracle considers Veritas (now Symantec) as direct competitor in
cluster and storage management areas. On one site I experienced quite
a pressure from Oracle to make people step away from Veritas line of
products.
I would be interested to know how is your experience with this configuration.
Cheers,
Alex

On 11/17/06, amonte <ax.mount@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

I have to perform a Oracle 10.2.0.2 RAC Installation on Sun Solaris 10,
Veritas Storage Foundation for RAC v5.0 will be used and will be installed
by some Veritas guy.

I havent got previous experience with Veritas SF + RAC combination, in 10g I
have used only Oracle Clusterware. I wonder how different will this be? What
should I tell the Veritas guy about the cluster configurations I need? At
Metalink there is no document about 10g, there is one when 9i was released
which I am reading it right now.

TiA!

Alex

--