RE: 10g RAC using raw devices - curiousity question

  • From: <Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>, <usn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:20:45 -0500

Dave, thanks for your input.

I think this may be drifting into a philosophical discussion on when and where
(and to whom) it is acceptable to leverage hidden parameters for a specific
session/operation. :)

Oracle has given plenty of guidance on the parameters I've used (well, maybe
not all of them as some I was testing with).  I provided the Metalink doc #s
beside the parameters to illustrate that I've put a lot of research into this
and am not adjusting these parameters on a whim.

I tried getting auto PGA to do what I needed it to do, but it was a no go -
there are some parameters that can be adjusted at a SYSTEM level for PGA but
very few for a SESSION level (caveat 1: 10g, caveat 2: I may have missed
something).  Some of the PGA tuneables require a database bounce and affect the
entire system.

My approach is to limit the tuning to the problem area (keeping in mind I'm
handcuffed at the moment by certain business strategies regarding statistics
and automatic memory management i.e. red tape).

Chris