10g RAC and defined services performance problem

  • From: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:51:41 -0400

We have a 3-node 10.2.0.3 RAC Server on Red Hat 4, and have defined
about 20 additional services with preferred nodes set to 1 specific
node, with available nodes set for the other 2 nodes.  Workload is
divided evenly with about 7 services on each node.   Has anybody run
into specific problems with performance when using a lot of services, as
opposed to having the application just connect to the main db
load-balanced service ?

This particular application has a reputation from the developers of not
scaling well across RAC nodes, and we have recently been advised of a
lot of performance problems that I am now starting to investigate, but I
want to get some opinions on the wisdom of using many different services
rather than just a few or one.