Re: 10g RAC and db_multi_block_read_count

  • From: Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:08:33 -0700

Could you cite the reference that you mentioned about the MBRC=8 on
RAC suggestion?

What is your workload?  DSS?  OLTP?

Given that not setting db_multi_block_read_count basically results in
a costing of 8 w/o system stats but I/O size is
db_multi_block_read_count blocks or in this case 1MB.

I look at it like this:  is it more efficient to execute a larger
number of smaller I/Os or a smaller number of larger I/Os when doing a
FTS operation (the answer is the latter)?  Then I would ask myself,
does it even make any difference if it is RAC or not, and if so, why?
I am struggling to think of any significant difference that RAC would
introduce, so I would comment that it makes no difference and if the
comments you found have no technical explanation, I would classify it
as mis-information.

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn