Re: 10g R1, temp tablespace group, level 7 statspack snap - cons stats$seg_stat_pk violated

  • From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <rshamsud@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:20:22 -0500

Hi Paul
Precisely what we encountered with temp tablespace groups and we were trying to reduce contention too. SQLs that you have listed here caused excessive CPU issue during our 10g performance test and we stopped using temp tablespace groups.

Thanks
Riyaj

Paul Drake wrote:
On 4/12/06, *Paul Drake* <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    10.1.0.4 <http://10.1.0.4>, 10.1.0.4 <http://10.1.0.4> patch 10
    standard edition
    w2k adv svr sp4

    I'm wondering if anyone has seen this type of error before?

    Had contention on a single tempfile in a temp tablespace.
    Only one tempfile out of 4 was being used (one temp tablespace
    with 1 tempfile on each of 4 mount points) which was resulting in
    contention.
    I attempted to leverage a tablespace group for the load to be
    balanced across multiple temp tablespaces' tempfiles on different
    mount points.
    As no potentially good deed goes unpunished, this arrangement
    threw an error when attempting a level 7 statspack snapshot:

    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-00001: unique constraint (PERFSTAT.STATS$SEG_STAT_PK) violated
    ORA-06512: at "PERFSTAT"."STATSPACK". line 2654
    ORA-06512: at "PERFSTAT"."STATSPACK". line 4516
    ORA-06512: at "PERFSTAT"."STATSPACK". line 91
    ORA-06512: at line 1

    The cons columns are
    (snap_id, dbid, instance_number, dataobj#, obj#)

    The offending statement is an insert statement.

    Funny thing is that at line 2712 of the package, there is a
    comment regarding avoiding ORA-1. :)

    I'm not going to file an SR on this now, but if its still around
    with the 10.1.0.5 <http://10.1.0.5> patchset in place I may do so
    later.

    Paul

This appears to me to be overhead os using a temporary tablespace group in 10g R1:

                           % Total    Old
 Parse Calls  Executions   Parses  Hash Value
------------ ------------ -------- ----------
     108,193      108,194    45.85  693993892
select min(bitmapped) from ts$ where dflmaxext =:1 and bitand(fl
ags,1024) =1024

CPU Elapsd Old
Buffer Gets Executions Gets per Exec %Total Time (s) Time (s) Hash Value
--------------- ------------ -------------- ------ -------- --------- ----------
3,354,014 108,194 31.0 46.5 32.58 32.60 693993892
select min(bitmapped) from ts$ where dflmaxext =:1 and bitand(fl
ags,1024) =1024

Has anyone come across this before?
I am very much tempted to bag the use of temporary tablespace groups - "the count is no balls and two strikes".

Paul

material.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any
attachments is strictly prohibited.   If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.