10g $ORACLE_HOME

  • From: "Thomas Jeff" <jeff.thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:10:33 -0500

If your site has installed 10g, what $ORACLE_HOME setting are you using?

Historically, we've used the format $ORACLE_BASE/product/release, so
that
for say, 9i, we would see:

        $ORACLE_BASE/product/9.2.0.2
        $ORACLE_BASE/product/9.2.0.4

Oracle has tweaked the OFA so that it now recommends ORACLE_HOME be=20
set like this:

        $ORACLE_BASE/product/10.1.0/{type}_{counter}
      where type is the product name:  db - database server, client, etc

So for our first enterprise install, ORACLE_HOME would be set thus:

        $ORACLE_BASE/product/10.1.0/db_1   (which actually is version
10.1.0.2)

Now, let's say we want to patch to 10.1.0.2.   What we would do is clone
db_1=20
into db_2 and then patch the db_2 version, giving us:

        $ORACLE_BASE/product/10.1.0/db_1
        $ORACLE_BASE/product/10.1.0/db_2

Oracle cites the advantages of the new OFA structures as:

o You can install different products with the same release number in the
same=20
  $ORACLE_BASE
o You can install the same product more than once in the same
$ORACLE_BASE

However, it's not visually apparent as to the specific release you are
looking=20
at when perusing the directory structure under the new OFA structure.  =20

Thanks!

Jeff T.