10g ASMM (AMM in 11g) Hugepages Compatibility

  • From: <Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 16:22:36 -0500

So a colleague of mine just pointed me to a metalink document (after we had
been discussing using AMM with hugepages) that 10g uses ASMM not AMM (not to be
confused with ASSM).
I was under the impression that Hugepages and AMM (in 10g - actually called
ASMM) was incompatible but apparently it is not (though it is incompatible with
AMM in 11g).  Somewhere along the line I dropped the "S" from ASMM in 10g - I
swear I didn't remember it being called ASMM and had to look it up in the 10.2
documentation to really believe it.

ASMM and LINUX x86-64 Hugepages Support [ID 1134002.1]

I so wanted to argue the point that 10g automatic memory management wasn't
compatible with hugepages but according to that note it is.

Anyone have a differing opinion or thoughts on the matter?

Chris Taylor
Oracle DBA
Parallon IT&S