RE: 10G listener.ora

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:47:04 -0400

Hi Larry,

I looked at that a while ago.  If I recall correctly, as of 9i,
prespawned dedicated servers are deprecated, and Oracle recommends using
Shared Server instead.

That didn't make a WHOLE lot of sense to me, as my impression is that
they are really for different purposes, but that's what the manual
said.....

Yep, here's the reference:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/network.920/a96580/wha
tsnew.htm#970727

-Mark

PS  I didn't check 10g, for all I know they put them back into 10g, but
as of 9i, they are deprecated.  Actually, scratch that, I just checked.
Now listed as "unsupported", here:
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14213/uns
upported.htm#sthref990

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

Ours is the age that is proud of machines that can think and suspicious
of men who try to.  --H. Mumford Jones, 1892-1980