RE: 10.2.0.1 DST patchset

  • From: "Sam Bootsma" <sbootsma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <premjhere@xxxxxxxxx>, <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 12:29:23 -0500

I concur.  I applied my first patch (a CPU) to a 10gAS a couple months
back.  As I recall, one of the earlier instructions in the readme was to
contact Oracle Support if another one-off patch was already installed.
This was true for us, so I dutifully set up a SR.  After a lot of going
back-and-forth I was told they can not be 100% sure that applying the
CPU will not impact the patch that is already there.  I tried applying
the patch in our test environment and discovered that applying the patch
rolled back the one-off patch that was already installed.  Then
re-applying the one-off patch rolled back the CPU I was trying to
install.

Why couldn't Oracle Support tell me that right away?  Or why couldn't
that it be mentioned in the readme that came with the CPU that existing
patches may be rolled back (instead of telling me to set up an SR)?

I find the same problem with the DST ... just wading through a lot of
metalink notes that continually point to other metalink notes.  There
must be an implementation that makes it easier for DBAs to apply these
patches.

Sam Bootsma

Oracle Database Administrator

Information Technology Services