RE: 10.2 listener won't start on same port as 9.2 listener

  • From: JayMiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: makbo@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:40:36 -0400

No, the key is different.  I'm using the exact same listener.ora that I did
for the 10.1 instance with the exception of the different ORACLE_HOME.  I
differentiate the keys by adding the instance name (e.g., KEY = EXTPROCAAA,
KEY = EXTPROCBBB, KEY = EXTPROCCCC).

I'll speak with the SAs about running netstat --listening tonight.

I didn't try turning off both other listeners and then restarting all three
but when I refreshed from my 10.1 backup the listener started up with no
problems.

Regarding the last question, see my response to Mladen.

One additional note on something I tried after sending the email to the
list.  I tried adding the 10.2 instance to one of the 9.2 listeners
(figuring I could run that way on a temporary basis) and while the listener
came up I was unable to connect.

This was the entry:

listener_rtb =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = usnjc01urp004)(PORT = 1526))
      )
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROCRTB))
      )
    )
  )

SID_LIST_listener_rtb =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (ORACLE_HOME= /oracle/rtbp/product/9.2.0)
      (SID_NAME = rtbp)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
      (ORACLE_HOME= /oracle/mds/product/10.2.0)
      (SID_NAME = mdsdb)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = /oracle/rtbp/product/9.2.0)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
  )

This was the error I got when I tried to connect through the listener:
ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process

I'm wondering now if the fact that I have PROGRAM = extproc but KEY =
EXTPROCRTB could possibly be an issue?  Something else to try once the
developers release the box to me tonight.

Thanks,
Jay Miller