Re: 1 oracle user per server or 1 per database

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 14:47:50 -0300

I've seen all combinations, all with pro's and con's.

1 user per database:
* no need to run oraenv
* required one home for database
* requires more complex scripting for automating database operations (croned
backups or stats gathering, etc)

1 user per release:
* reduces the number of homes and keeps everything elegant. This is my
favorite option.
* requires use of oraenv.

1 user per server:
* reduces the number of homes
* you can't tell from ps -ef |grep pmon in which release a DB is, you need
to check /etc/dbora

I'm sure there are many more points to consider... this is just a list from
the top of my head.

hth
Alan.-