Re: 1 DBA in a company

  • From: Mike Haddon <m.haddon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:26:36 -0500

I have spent several years in this specific situation and it really depends upon the company. Most of the time the DBA has to have a sense of responsibility. In my current position I am the only DBA and my boss insists that I do take my vacation.

During this time I am usually in the Rockies so pages and phones are erratic at best. I have setup a decent standard for system layout, process and application implementation and documentation to explain it all. Also, there are developers that are decent at troubleshooting application issues in the database and I give them sufficient access to accomplish that and no more so only serious database server issues are really a concern.

When I do go on vacation I usually provide one or two numbers to colleagues that have agreed to be on call for serious database issues and Metalink is also available. The databases are stable and standby databases are active. Luckily - they have never had to use them.

Just my .02

Mike

Michael McMullen wrote:

They hope nothing bad happens.

We are very database centric so a real disaster is the only thing we worry about and we have lots of competent people. So, metalink priority 1 tar would be the way to go.