Re: 0% data loss setup ?

  • From: Peter.McLarty@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:49:55 +1000

Hi Prem
I was reading some of the other replies and you have said strictly 0% data
loss for committed transactions, well any standard Oracle installation
will do that, If you want 0% downtime then you can only do that with RAC,
but that depends on your application design and technology. Any other
failover HA solution has possibly a small downtime window, minutes or
seconds to drop and reconnect users to the alternate instance and may roll
back some transactions, but these are uncommitted so you are safe there

So for a better design of your maybe HA solution you might need to better
define your requirements

Cheers

Peter McLarty               E-mail: Peter.Mclarty@xxxxxxxxxx
Technical Consultant        WWW: http://www.mincom.com
APAC Technical Services     Phone: +61 (0)7 3303 3461
Brisbane,  Australia        Mobile: +61 (0)402 094 238
                            Facsimile: +61 (0)7 3303 3048
"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it, begin it now."
Goethe 1749 -1832
Mincom "The People, The Experience, The Vision"

delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of
companies unless expressly stated otherwise.

"Prem Khanna J" <jprem@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
08/03/2004 09:42 AM
Please respond to
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
0% data loss setup ?

Hi List,

We will be soon having a system and it requires
strictly 0% data loss in any case . Not even a
single commited transaction should be lost.

The setup will be 9iR2 on win2k .

Standby database (max protection mode) may be a
choice.But the primary DB tends to go down if it
is not able to communicate with standby DB.this
reduces the availability of my primary DB and so
is not my option.And standby database in ( max
availability mode) can have data loss and hence
is ruled out.

any HA suggestion ?!
can someone let me know how it can be acheived ?

Regards,
Prem.

information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the
sender and delete the transmission. The contents of this e-mail are the opinion
of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of companies unless
expressly stated otherwise.

JPEG image