Re: R12.1.1 NLS 6678700 runs for a long time

  • From: Chuck Edwards <chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 10:18:12 -0800

You can trace the java processes on the server and query metalink with the output of a hung or slow process to find out if you've hit a bug. One bug I've run into a few times with R12 is on certain hardware and os combinations, there are performance issues with the 10.1.x application servers and the use of /dev/random by the JVM. One of the workarounds is to use /dev/urandom instead of /dev/random. To implement the workaround, link /dev/random to /dev/urandom:

(as root)
mv /dev/random /dev/random.orig
ln -s /dev/urandom /dev/random

Retry the process and see if performance improves. I have absolutely no way of knowing if this is your problem, but it's simple to test and change back if it doesn't help. You specified a java class as the problem, so it's a possibility - completely guessing without more data, though.

You also should read up on the consequences of performing this step. There are some drawbacks, but if you're hitting this issue, performance will definitely improve.

Chuck

On Jan 24, 2010, at 10:02 AM, Kalyan Sundar wrote:

Chuck,
It takes long time at XLIFFImporter.class file.

Thanks,
Kalyan

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Chuck Edwards <chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello - what jobs are taking the longest?

On Jan 24, 2010, at 3:04 AM, Kalyan Sundar wrote:

Hi All,
I am in a process of upgrading my system from 11.5.10.2 to R12.1.1.
DB upgrade went fine, R12 US language maintanence pack completed very fast. But when I started the NLS AR patch installation, it runs far so long time. There is a huge performance issue I encounter. Oracle says , its a bug 8576725 . Since it have crossed more than 34000 jobs out of 40,000.
Is there any way we can avoid aborting the patch and fix this issue?

Please advice.

Thanks,
Kalyan