[optimal] Re: optimal Digest V2 #20

  • From: "Callahan, Charlene" <Charlene_Callahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 09:57:44 -0500

A few years ago one of Dr Staurenghi's fellows helped us with combined
injections and "simultaneous" imaging. We have NOT used this cocktail technique
for about two years.
1. Dilute 25mg ICG dye with 3cc of the manufacturer's solvent.
2. Remove 1.5 cc 10% fluorescein dye from the 5cc vial. (I don't remember if we
saved this or discarded it)
3. Add 2cc ICG mix to the vial containing 3.5 cc fluorescein dye. Draw up the
entire vial into a syringe for the injection followed by a 5cc saline flush. We
usually used an in-welling catheter with a stopcock, but have also taped down a
butterfly and switched syringes.
Dosage will be 16.6 mg ICG and 70 mg Fluorescein.
For the SLO with FA/ICG setting, first expose for the FA then the ICG.
Our nurses would not use this method if the patient had not had both dyes
previously and without problems. As I've mentioned we no longer use this
procedure.
Hope this helps'
Charlene

Charlene DeLena Callahan
Ophthalmic Photographer
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary,
Fluorescein Lab
243 Charles Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114
(617) 573-3579       FAX (617) 573-4454
charlene_callahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 1:09 AM
To: optimal digest users
Subject: optimal Digest V2 #20

optimal Digest  Tue, 08 Feb 2011        Volume: 02  Issue: 020

In This Issue:
                [optimal] Re: Question on fluorescein dosages
                [optimal] Re: Inexpensive slit lamp camera solution?
                [optimal] Re: Inexpensive slit lamp camera solution?

From: Ethan Priel <prieleye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [optimal] Re: Question on fluorescein dosages
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 09:38:12 +0200

Denice good morning.

=20

The term simultaneous angiography does not NECESSARILY mean that the =
dyes
are injected at the same time.

=20

It means, mostly, that since both dyes are 'in the system', it is =
therefore
possible to image the retina and the choroid at the same time, employing
both dedicated wavelengths=20

(FA +ICG) and get both images 'side by side'.

=20

The benefits include the ability to compare locations of pathology
accurately while bringing up the images side by side.

=20

Ethan

From: "Thomas C. Monego" <Thomas.C.Monego@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 08:18:33 -0500
Subject: [optimal] Re: Inexpensive slit lamp camera solution?

Sarah,
Topcon has a bottom line slit lamp camera our optoms are using. Several years
ago it was right around $5K, so would probably be more now, but worth a look,
really still frame video. No real strobe but has a background light which is
missing on a conversion.

Tom

Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 08:56:37 -0600
From: "Doug Blanchard" <Doug.Blanchard@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Sarah,

A few years ago I found myself in the same spot.  After a ton of research, and
not wanting to spend a lot of money, I built my own using a pre existing Haag
Streit BQ.

The adapter is an Accu Beam II with a beam splitter from TTI Medical.  I
attached a Canon 30D because it gave me the ability to shoot with a foot pedal.
 I does require an external fill light and I can send makes and models of a
couple I have.

The Images are great with the 30D being 6 megapixel.  I started out shooting
RAW,  The images were incredible, but hard to store and work with.  When we
went live with EMR, I bumped them down quiet a bit and ended up with a very
small very manageable image that displays very well on screen.

In the beginning I used the capture software that came with the 30D.  It worked
great but I had to create and name a folder for each Pt. before a shoot.  A
little involved, but worth it at the time.

Let me know if you need more info, or would like pics of my setup.

Doug Blanchard, C.R.A.
Director of Imaging Services
Mann Eye Institute and Laser Center
Office 713.275.2429
Fax 713.275.2490

Achieve 20/20 at Mann Eye Institute

    Join Us On Our Social Networks

I am looking for an inexpensive slit lamp camera solution.  I've heard
of systems where you can take out the eyepiece of a slit lamp and then
put in an adapter that will allow you to connect it to your camera.
The photographer/doctor would then take a picture using the capture
button on the camera.

Does anybody know who makes these adapters?  And which cameras are
best to connect them to?

I'm open to other inexpensive (hoping for less than ~$5,000) slit lamp
camera solutions as well!

Thanks,

Sarah

End of optimal Digest V2 #20