[optimal] Re: Power switch on TRC 50ex

  • From: "Egnatz, Thomas James" <tegnatz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Hackel, Richard" <rhackel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:45:02 -0400

I haven't researched fluorescent lights, but I do remember from 40 years ago it was said if they were going to be turned back on in less than 20 minutes, less energy was used just leaving them on. True fact or urban legend, I don't know.

As far as computers being left on, there are a lot of opinions, the consensus being there is no single right answer. For an exhaustive sampling, go to:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7586_102-565116/what-s-the-best-for-a-pc-life-sleep-hibernate-or-shutdown/?tag=nl.e497

I think Kim Komando (the Digital Goddess) says she reboots her computers a couple of times a week. This clears them out and makes them run more efficiently.

As far as surge protecters, they help with power surges. They probably won't help if lightning strike nearby. The best advice in a lightning storm: turn the computer off, unplug the surge protector power strip from the outlet, unplug the phone line from your modem, and unplug the TV cable and its surge protecter from the wall. I might start doing this, but what a pain.

Tom

Quoting "Hackel, Richard" <rhackel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

So it sounds like we've got the leave-the-power-supply-on question resolved.

What about the room lights? We are divided in our unit as to whether
it's better to leave the lights on in the 6 different camera rooms
between patients, or more efficient to turn them off. I'd like to
leave them on since we run in and out of these rooms all day long,
and I think it can be confusing to patients also.

Any energy advantages to leaving these fluorescent lights on?

Richard

________________________________
From: TSteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [optimal] Power switch on TRC 50ex
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:07:38 -0400

Cousin?s,

One of the photographers has begun turning off the 50ex after every
study to avoid the sound of the camera in their office. I don?t think
it really matters if you leave the camera on all day or turn it off
and on multi times.

Perhaps someone has information which would enlighten an old dog
photographer like me.

Thank You,

Tom Steele, CRA

Midwest Eye Institute

200 West 103rd Street

Indianapolis, Indiana 46290

317.817.1018

tsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain information that is
confidential and/or privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by telephone and return the
original message to us at the above email address