[optimal] Re: Laws re: Pushing Dye

  • From: Tom Egnatz <tegnatz7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 20:04:21 -0500

I agree with Paula.  It only takes one lawsuit to ruin your day, or your life.  
There was a JOPS article thirty-odd years ago that attempted to answer the 
legality of photographers/technicians giving NaFl injections.  Letters were 
sent to many state offices in (I think) all 50 states.  As I recall, clear cut 
answers were received from very few.

When I started work at the medical school in 1975, the prevailing view was only 
a physician or RN could give an IV injection.  This usually was the residents 
doing retina clinic, or the staff ophthalmologist.  Occasionally the staff RN 
or a wandering medical student you might snag.  A few years later, one of the 
staff ophthalmologists was sued because of an infiltration on a lady who had 
had a mastectomy on that side (the patient’s son happened to be an MD, for what 
it’s worth).  The staff RN was also named in the suit, she was not even working 
that day.  I must have seen this ophthalmologist give a thousand injections, he 
never missed.  None of this 23 g butterfly business, he used a straight 21 g 
needle.  He came in, closed the door, tourniquet on, needle in vein, aspirate 
blood, tourniquet off, inject dye, fold arm, turn off light, open door, close 

One is probably covered under the doctor’s malpractice insurance (they will go 
for the deep pockets) UNLESS state law spells out only a physician or RN for an 
IV injection.  When I was freelancing, I found a company that wrote a million 
dollar policy for allied health personnel, can’t remember the name of the 
company, do a Google search.  I think it was about $150 a year, well worth the 
peace of mind.  I did not even do injections then.  I explained I just did the 
photography, occasionally gave dilation drops.

So you might enquire of your state offices (if you work for an institution, ask 
their lawyer to do the research).  Good luck getting a definite answer from a 
bureaucrat.  You will probably be bounced from one office to another.  The 
nursing licensing board will probably say MD or RN, see if they will quote the 
actual statute.  Often it is a turf war, and the easiest answer is NO.

Just my $ 0.02.
On Jan 31, 2024 at 6:56 PM -0500, Paula Morris <paula.morris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, 

It is a conundrum since fluorescein sodium angiograms started. States' right 
prevail. Some states allow it, some don't, some states don't know which way 
to go.
To me, if there is a question, your employers/facility call it within what is 
allowed within the state. When I worked at the University of Utah, Risk 
Management for the hospital said that only licensed medical personnel can 
inject anything into a patient unless it is absolutely inert. As we know, 
fluorescein can cause nausea, syncope, allergic reactions... unfortunately in 
my 40+ year career, I had 2 patients have cardiac arrest within 30 seconds of 
fluorescein sodium injection. Happily, because of CPR training and quick 
response by physicians, both patients survived. In both cases the injection 
was done by licensed medical personnel. The guidelines for "who does the 
push" may have changed since I was employed there.
It is essential that imagers know what their liability is. Some docs say you 
are covered by their malpractice insurance but is that true?  Us old timers 
know of several instances where families of patients who had adverse 
reactions to angiograms tried to sue the practice & named imagers as part of 
the suits.   My husband said to me years ago, "Please don't do anything that 
could jeopardize our life's work". In other words, please don't do anything 
that could make you personally/financially liable. I paid attention to that 
My bottom line advice to your friend would be for them to do their own 
individual research as to what is legal or permissible (if that is a better 
term) in their location, check with their practice/employers to be sure they 
have some kind of protection as they perform their duties within their job 
description, get IV certification if possible, and then follow best practices.
Long winded, but I think sound advice.
Thx, P
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 31, 2024, at 9:17 AM, Denice Barsness <denicebars@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I live in California. Same advise.  Ca state board of nursing regulates 
this act.

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 7:37 AM Chris Keth <c.keth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is not an answer for me. I know what I can and can’t do here. This 
is information I’m trying to gather to advise somebody else in another 
location in California. I’m leaning toward telling her to call her 
licensing body or the nursing licensing body for California. I’m not 
qualified to advise anybody legally and this is going into that 

Chris Keth, CRA, OCT-C, CPT
Duke Eye Center

From: optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> On 
Behalf Of Denice Barsness
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2024 10:34 AM
To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [optimal] Re: Laws re: Pushing Dye

Most states follow the Board of Nursing regulations under “ short term 
infusion”.  A place as large as Duke surely has a large team of risk 
management lawyers.  Seek them out to find the true legal answer. MDs 
with enlightened self interest are not legal experts. Took me three 
years to get my large corporate health care system to enforce the law 
and hire an RN.  I pushed for it because my own personal attorney 
friend helped me to understand the liabilities I was assuming just to 
be a “ team player”.  Hope this helps

Denice Barsness.CRA#69

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 2:40 AM Chris Keth <c.keth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Morning, all. I’m trying to advise a physician who is trying to get 
her technician trained up to do IVFAs. I know the policies governing 
all of us vary as far as administering dye to a patient.

Does anybody know if this variance is legal, by system policy, or a 
combination of both?

What does your system have you do and where are you?

Chris Keth, CRA, OCT-C
Duke Eye Center

Other related posts: