[optacon-l] Re: scanning and reading appliance

  • From: Judy Adams <judy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:34:20 -0700

Dear mailing list,

Don't forget Jim Bliss's VIP scanning software; his company is still going
strong, despite his illness and recent death.  VIP can be used with any Twain
scanner (e.g. Canon, Epson, etc.), and the software is $295 (or can be
"bundled" with his e-mail - PnC E-mail, and browser - PnC Net for a total of
$500). Scanned text is spoken (and displayed in large print for low vision
users). Most commands are given with the number keypad in VIP, and using arrow
keys on the PnC product menus.  VIP has simple audio help identifying the key
used for different functions.    You can pick up a good scanner for around
$100, so with just VIP and a scanner, you have a great system.  There is also a
calculator program in VIP, a simple word processor, a database, a clock, and a
CD with 658 literary classics, including some US historical documents and the
complete King James Bible (all documents on the CD can be bookmarked in VIP).
You can copy scanned documents over into MS Word for editing, brai
 lling, etc. Uses MS Anna voice on Win7 computers, or older XP voices, or
Neospeech voices can be purchased through JBliss.

The demo CD has 30-day trial versions, gives you a demo of the different
voices, and a 30 min. video with informative sound track.  Let me know if
you're interested in a demo CD to try This is PC software, not stand-alone, but
quite affordable. Even if you don't have a scanner, you can see how the system
works, because there is a sample scanned file.  I recommend that you call me
after installation so I can talk you through the initial steps and answer any
questions.

Best regards,

Judy Adams (former Optacon teacher, sighted),
President
JBliss Low Vision Systems
888-452-5477 9-5 California time
judy@xxxxxxxxxx