[optacon-l] Re: Request for some advice

  • From: gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:03:10 -0500

Hello Richard,
I would say that you are getting mostly expected results with your Optacon
though I have seen a lot of variability in just how effective different
tactile arrays are at stimulating the finger.  I had an Optacon for many
years that always produced a weak image.  Cold temperatures and other
factors varying the sensitivity of the finger could make the array almost
impossible to use.  Other Optacons give a very dynamic image that is hard
to damp down unless one really uses a heavy touch.  Given how very
sensitive your Optacon appears to be to pressure exerted on the array, you
might be wise to attempt to get some servicing on it.
As for your observation about the side pins, it probably is true that they
give somewhat less information that the center ones.  To some extent that
may depend on the individual subject's finger and how well it fills out
the array.  Still, I don't think I have ever heard of anyone being totally
unable to detect activity on the edge columns of the array.

These are my opinions, and I hope they are helpful.

Regards,
Jerry

Richard Vickery <Richard.Vickery@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: optacon-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
11/29/2009 10:58 PM
Please respond to
optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[optacon-l] Request for some advice

Hello everyone,

I am a University-based neuroscientist at UNSW in Australia. We are using
an
Optacon R1-B as a research tool to investigate tactile function. This is
primarily basic research, but may in the longer term have application in
the
development of better haptic feedback devices for remote sensing and
assisting
the disabled.

Our Optacon is very sensitive to the contact force between the finger and
the
device. If you hold your finger down on it too firmly, the pins barely
move and
are difficult to detect. Also the sensation produced by each column seems
different with the side ones being least effective. I was hoping that you
expert
Optacon users might be able to tell me if all Optacons behave this way, or

whether our one is in need of a major overhaul.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best wishes
Richard Vickery

--
Dr Richard Vickery
School of Medical Sciences, UNSW, Australia, 2052

Nothing in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature
unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed. It may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, transmission, dissemination or other use, or taking of any action
in reliance upon this message by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this message in
error, please contact the sender and delete it from your computer.