Re: Excitement

  • From: "W. Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:45:08 -0500

I think refreshible dots aren't going to happen.  The dot density is too high,
and there just isn't any way I can see to get that electro-mechanical process,
or
any sort of seemingly promising--but never yet manufactured technology like
"plasma" or "memory metal" to work.  Not and be able to watch the movement
of the scanning hand-tracked camera in "real time".  Maybe change the frequency
of the vibration, or make it user definable, but it ain't broken, don't
fix/break it.

Nick

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:18:04 -0700, Mark Blier wrote:

 Hi, All,

 Boy, I sure can't wait until I get my "new" Optacon.  When mine died for =
 good in 2004, I did not know about this list, and had abandoned hope of =
 regaining that slice of independence.  When I found the Optacon list on =
 Blind Cool Tech, I jumped three feet straight up. =20

 I cannot stress enough the importance of holding on to one's privacy as =
 much as possible by being able to check one's own mail.  What really =
 sticks in my craw is the over-reaction that I get from seeing people who =
 know *my* private information before I do!

 There is nothing like being able to spot-check print -- I don't care how =
 fast or sophisticated the scanners get, or how perfect their results =
 become.  Reading with the Optacon is a totally unique and treasured =
 experience.

 I can think of only one sore spot, and that is the vibration.  If the =
 vibration ans its numbing could be eliminated, there would be another =
 huge reason to crow about the Optacon.  Why not replace the vibrating =
 tactile array with an array of refreshable dots similar to what is =
 reported on the Video Tim?  You'd have dots coming up in the shapes of =
 the printed characters, and no vibration, and that would automatically =
 yield a better reading experience.  One could read for longer periods of =
 time, and I bet also faster.

 I can't wait to puzzle out street maps again.

 [Sidebar:  I would also like to hear from anyone who has used the Video =
 Tim, and compare experiences with those of Optacon users.  My email =
 address is:  mblier@xxxxxxx  .]

 Mark Blier
 Sierra Vista, Arizona