Excitement

  • From: "Mark Blier" <mblier@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon list mail" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:18:04 -0700

Hi, All,

Boy, I sure can't wait until I get my "new" Optacon.  When mine died for =
good in 2004, I did not know about this list, and had abandoned hope of =
regaining that slice of independence.  When I found the Optacon list on =
Blind Cool Tech, I jumped three feet straight up. =20

I cannot stress enough the importance of holding on to one's privacy as =
much as possible by being able to check one's own mail.  What really =
sticks in my craw is the over-reaction that I get from seeing people who =
know *my* private information before I do!

There is nothing like being able to spot-check print -- I don't care how =
fast or sophisticated the scanners get, or how perfect their results =
become.  Reading with the Optacon is a totally unique and treasured =
experience.

I can think of only one sore spot, and that is the vibration.  If the =
vibration ans its numbing could be eliminated, there would be another =
huge reason to crow about the Optacon.  Why not replace the vibrating =
tactile array with an array of refreshable dots similar to what is =
reported on the Video Tim?  You'd have dots coming up in the shapes of =
the printed characters, and no vibration, and that would automatically =
yield a better reading experience.  One could read for longer periods of =
time, and I bet also faster.

I can't wait to puzzle out street maps again.

[Sidebar:  I would also like to hear from anyone who has used the Video =
Tim, and compare experiences with those of Optacon users.  My email =
address is:  mblier@xxxxxxx  .]

Mark Blier
Sierra Vista, Arizona