[opendtv] =?utf-8?Q?Re:_[opendtv]_Re:_Variety.com:_Who_Are_the_Winners_and? =?utf-8?Q?_Losers_in_Pay_TV’s_Unbundled_Future??Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 08:46:42 -0500

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Nov 16, 2014, at 11:55 PM, Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> My posts have evidence, whereas your speculation (that content owners won't
> let their stuff out except in "the bundle") is pure fiction, and clearly
> contradicted by the facts.

FOTFL

> Which competes against the other MVPDs by keeping their markup lower. This
> too is something I had to point out, and who knows why. But yes, another MVPD
> is not the answer, and the content owners themselves have figured it out, as
> mentioned at the end of the article.
>
>> And DSL is not the answer for broadband.
>
> Actually, you're wrong here too, as I've already explained. DSL is going up
> to 1 Gb/s, which is very competitive with FTTH.
>
>> But this does not mean that the
>> bundle is threatened. It does mean that everyone is adapting to changing
>> distribution technologies.
>
> The bundle is definitely threated when content owners are willing to make
> their stuff available outside it, no matter how you try to twist your logic.
> As the article points out:
>
> "What’s different this time around, after years of fretting about the looming
> specter of people abandoning the bundle? Said analyst Craig Moffett, 'The
> content companies are no longer part of a united front trying to forestall
> OTT substitution.'”

> What is ambiguous about that, Craig?

Nothing. The problem is that, as I said before, the content companies are now
part of a united front to embrace OTT services while protecting the bundles.

They always have adapted to evolutionary technology, and this is no exception.

> Instead of fretting about "people abandoning the bundle," says the article,
> verbatim, the content owners are NO LONGER united in opposing OTT
> substitution for your "the bundle."

Correct. They are actively creating these new substitutes via the business of
licensing their content that they have been engaged in for nearly a century.

> When faced with such a barrage of obvious changing trends, one wonders what
> possible ulterior motives can make anyone so stubbornly with head in sand.

Looking in a mirror Bert?