[opendtv] =?utf-8?Q?Re:_[opendtv]_Re:_ScreenPlays_Magazine:_HBO'€?=?utf-8?Q?™s_OTT_Move_Sends_Wake-Up_Call_to_MVPDs?Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 07:44:52 -0500

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Old rules for old technologies. When technology changes, old rules go away.
> With OTT sites, the content owner alone can decide whether or what geographic
> boundaries to establish. No one else needs be involved.

The content owners and the government established the existing rules with the
broadcast affiliate system. DBS systems have a national footprint, but they are
required to protect the local markets as well. CBS appears to be protecting the
same rules with their OTT service.

I would suggest that this is a matter that the broadcasters and the FCC will
have a say about.

>> Dish is offering a slimmed down VMVPD bundle.
>
> Completely different bundle from legacy MVPD bundles, no now-arbitrary geo
> boundary. Nope. Hardly just another MVPD, Craig. Give it up.

No BERT, you need to give it up. Sling is not offering a network mini bundle
yet. You might want to at least wait to see how their negotiation with the
networks work out before you make unfounded claims. Yes the bundle is
different, as is the service. Let's see what it looks like and how many people
subscribe when the service is completed and actually offered for sale - you can
go to the site, sign up and see if you are invited to participate in their
beta...

>> Netflix had nothing to do with this.
>
> Another example of a totally different bundle from legacy MVPD formulas, and
> no arbitrary geo boundaries. Yup, sounds like another OTT site to me!

You Tube is an OTT site BERT. I'm not the one creating the classifications.
There is an industry out there that has been selling TV content for decades in
many ways - they are not all the same.

>> So what is the differentiation that is being offered by OTT services?
>
> Different bundle formulas from each other, different prices from each other,
> and they compete wherever, without local monopolies mandated by technology
> and taken advantage of by the content owners.

That's part of it. But lumping everything together avoids the reality that most
of these services do not compete with the MVPD bundles, and the few that are
attempting to do so are not that different. To date the most successful OTT
service, Netflix, has been embraced by both MVPD subscribers and cord
cutters/never's - mostly MVPD subscribers.

>> Facilities based MVPDs are doing the first three via TV Everywhere.
> Can you get Comcast TVE, Craig? Does "the bundle" on Comcast TVE look any
> different from whatever "the bundle" Cox TVE offers you, Craig?

Absurd question BERT. TVE is a migration strategy, and yes, it is different
from the bundle of streaming channels I get from Cox. I gain access to VOD
content via the TVE sites, and often to live streams not available in my
market. As for access to operators outside of this market, like Comcast, it is
primarily a franchise and licensing issue.

Perhaps some day the geographic restrictions will go away. Then it becomes a
question of how many "virtual stores" that sell the same stuff, the marketplace
can and will support.

>> Nobody is forcing people to pay for TV BERT - you are a prime example.
>
> The term "take it or leave it," in colloquial English, Craig, is meant to say
> that you have no choices. Either you take the one option offered, or nothing.
> That is what this new TV environment is in the process of changing.

I have four options:

1. Cox Cable
2. Dish
3. DirecTV
4. Just say no

>> No, ESPN us being offered in a "different" bundle. It is not being offered
>> direct (ala carte).
>
> In effect, yes it is. ESPN came with huge "tax" before, and also represented
> a tax payment for non-sports fans. No longer true with Sling TV. Only Regards
> Craig

Not even close. You are still paying the full price for ESPN and other channels
you may or may not want. And to get the rest of the channels you want you to
will add mini bundles. And it only provides one stream at a time. Let's talk
about this again when the service is complete and we can actually compare what
it is I'll cost to get the stuff I watch today.

>> Netflix grew because it offers content on demand,
>
> And the other many times you said this, Craig, what did I answer? (Hint: HBO
> VOD pre-HBO go.)

What HBO VOD existed before HBO Go? It was entirely d pendent on your MVPD
provider. Comcast has offered HBO on demand for several years as part of their
X-Finity service.

But this ignores the point. Premium services like Netflix and HBO are all
migrating to an OTT VOD model, because that is what the customer wants.

>> We ARE NOT seeing the exclusive content that sells bundles become unbundled,
>>
> When exclusive "the bundle" content moves outside "the bundle," sorry Craig,
> but that's a huge change. Get over it.

It has not happen Bert. Provide one actual example, and Sling is not, as it is
still a bundle.

>>> I ask you again, Craig. Can you subscribe to Comcast TVE?
>
>> Why would I bother?
>
> Most people are not wedded to their MVPDs as you are, Craig. They might want
> a different set of options.

I have options, although they are very similar. Only Cox can offer me high
speed Broadband, so the choice is obvious.