[opendtv] =?utf-8?Q?Re:_[opendtv]_Re:_Google_Fiber:_We_Don’t_Do_Pa? =?utf-8?Q?id_Peering_|_Multichannel?Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 08:11:34 -0400

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On May 23, 2014, at 8:34 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Craig, this is the new TV broadcaster network. The guy who owns a set of
> these edge servers will certainly be free to allow anyone else to host their
> content on the servers, just as broadcasters allow other TV content on their
> subchannels now. Not EVERYONE has to be rich.

TV entertainment is certainly one application for edge servers. But there are
other large bandwidth hungry applications. Apple provides a good example. These
links have charts and tables that illustrate the impact of the iOS 7 release.
Not quite as big as Netflx during prime time, but still 20% of net traffic for
the ISP in the first article. One big difference from video streaming, is that
everyone was trying to download just two versions of iOS,  so local caching
(via Akamai) worked quite well.

http://www.gwi.net/policy/blog/behind-scenes-software-releases-like-ios7-impact-isp-networks/

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/11/ios-7-downloads-consumed-20-percent-of-an-isps-traffic-on-release-day/

The second story talks about the infrequent nature of spikes in demand from
major software releases. Some demand - such as Netflix - is relatively
constant. Other demand is less predictable. Generic caches may be the best was
for ISPs to deal with the latter.