[opendtv] =?utf-8?Q?Re:_[opendtv]_FCC:_Upgrading_Media_Rules_to_Better_Ser? =?utf-8?Q?ve_Consumers_in_Today’s_Video_Marketplace?Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 18:05:36 -0400

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Aug 14, 2015, at 7:44 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

It's amazing to me how knee-jerk libertarians find it possible to label even
this move as FCC intrusion in the marketplace, just as they twisted the
meaning of a net neutrality mandate as "intrusion." Or perhaps, those I
assume to be knee-jerk libertarians are actually individuals in the TV
business who were benefitting from anti-competitive regulations?

I might ask who you are referring to, but I cannot imagine libertarians getting
upset when a government agency ELIMINATES rules that limit competition. Perhaps
those crying now are the oligopolies that have benefitted from these rules?

By the way, nationalizing station ownership could make things worse. Allowing a
MVPD to import a network affiliate from an adjacent market when the local
station pulls its signal during a retransmission consent spat levels the
playing field, taking power away from the station that pulled its signal.

But we also see carriage spats between MVPDs and the networks in their bundles.
As these are mostly national services, they cannot import these channels from
another market.