[opendtv] Re: untruthfulness in DTV

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:47:46 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

Tom, you are going to have to amend this recurring litany.

As of late January, CBS, Inc. was spun off from Viacom.  CBS owns a network,
part of another (going forward, the CW), 40 TV stations, several hundred radio
stations, a billboard company, etc.  Paramount, MTV networks, etc stayed with
Viacom, hence Viacom is a content and pipes busness.

CBS is a network, and CBS is clearly in the broadcasting, as opposed to the
content, business.

As for the other networks, it's not clear that WB is in the content business,
due to the small percentage of it's revenues that come from creating (as
opposed to reporting or redistributing) content.  Although NBC Universal is a
content play, it's not clear that GE is in the content business due to it's
size and breadth.

Fox clearly is a content company, as is Disney.

Did you notice George Soros's recent content play?  He bought the library of
Dreamworks after Paramount bought it at fire sale prices from Dreamworks.
There are two lessons there about content -- Dreamworks had it, but lacked
their own distribution.  Soros seems to have something else in mind.

Not to mention the dissolution of the almost 60-year international distribution
partnership between Universal and Paramount.  It was outside the U.S. only (to
avoid antitrust issues).

Many things are apparently happening in the content & distribution businesses,
and your plaints sound like you're still fighting the last war.