[opendtv] Re: speaking of truly troubled media ...

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:26:42 -0800

By and large, the IPR laws are sensible, at least in the context you are
describing.

How many people do you think use text-to-speech of e-books in public on
speakers?  How many of the few people that hear such things have paid to
attend the performance?  How many more tell the person to turn it down or
use headphones?

On most transit systems, being able to hear what someone is listening to is
actually punishable as a crime.

How many sighted people use text-to-speech in public?

What percentage of the book's content would the public hear?  Reading a page
or two out loud of a 100-page book wouldn't seem to me to constitute a
public performance of the book.

Only a fool would take a blind person into court under this pretext because
the blind gal lost her headphones.

There are many defenses against such foolishness.  About the only way for
the IPR holder to win is if the person was using text-to-speech to play a
hot book, before publication.  Aside from that, the matter is a trifle.
Courts generally avoid trifles.

I should mention that copyright cases can only be heard in federal court,
and generally there, you need to have $20,000 or more at stake

Does anybody still believe that Tom Barry will grab any absurd proposition
to put forth the notion that constitutionally-protected IPR should be
eliminated?

John Willkie