[opendtv] Re: speaking of truly troubled media ...

  • From: Kon Wilms <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:46:26 -0800

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The image you sent showed a rolled up display.

The first link was to Sony's flexible OLED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2SCZvU8sGU same thing, different application.

> Lets assume that it could be
> unrolled and not immediately roll back up. Unless you placed such a display
> on a flat hard surface, it would be difficult to implement a touch
> interface. and if the device used a touchscreen interface, this would add
> another layer to the roll-up display...

Well that's what rigid-flex OLED is for:
http://www.physorg.com/news143910195.html

> Sounds like it is getting a bit complex, not to mention the potential for it
> to be rather fragile.

Tactile stress analysis etc. has always been a key part of developing
OLED technologies. OLED is targeted at the consumer market, after all
(and military -- but I'm not sure right now which one is driving the
advancements in OLED technology).

Cheers
Kon