[opendtv] opendtv] Re: Blue Ray has competition

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:17:54 -0400

Barry Wilkins wrote:

> Are you also implying that if US NTSC was transmitted on
> 8MHz channels then it would be as good as PAL is in Europe,
> or better perhaps?

Subjectively, and going from memory (you can't be two places
at the same time), I would suggest the answer is yes.

I think the luma bandwidth of 625/50 PAL is 5.5 MHz. This is
approximately the same figure as the bandwidth of NTSC
composite video interfaces. Do DVDs viewed over composite
interface to an NTSC 525 line TV (483 active) look about as
good as 8 MHz PAL?

I'd say yes. And strangely enough, I have now become
sensitized to 50 Hz flicker. Don't remember being so years
ago. But PAL over the 100 Hz Euro displays is great stuff.