[opendtv] Re: [opendtv]

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 17:11:48 -0400

Based on a resent response (letter) from the FCC regarding a specific
matter, the FCC has expressed that on a practical level, if a
Broadcaster uses E-VSB (part of the current ATSC Standard A/53C with
Amendment No. 1 and Corrigendum No. 1: ATSC Digital Television Standard,
Rev. C.) the only concern they would have would be if there was no
"normal" VSB available for minimum content reception. Otherwise, one can
use E-VSB today without an STA (but notice would be appreciated).
There are other promising methods being reviewed inside ATSC activities
that may lend well to helping resolve concerns in some areas of ATSC
performance. Join the ATSC process (or at least participate...you only
need be a member to vote if you have direct and material interest in the
activities.) if you want to know more...

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>John Shutt wrote:
>

>>If the FCC adopts ATSC A/53C in it's entirety as law, as
>>they have with A/53B, then yes, it can be enforced.  Or
>>at least amendment 1 paragraph 5.6.1 can be enforced:
>>
>>"Limits have been defined for the maximum bitrate in the
>>Enhanced (E-VSB) service.
>>
>>"At all times, the quality of video in the main stream
>>shall be equal to or better than the equivalent program
>>in the Enhanced stream. In the event that the
>>programming is different in the main and Enhanced streams,
>>a higher resolution format is deemed to be higher quality.
>>
>>"Additionally, during premium programming times, the
>>maximum bitrate in the enhanced (EVSB) stream shall be 3
>>Mbps out of the total 19.4 Mbps channel capacity."
>>

>That text, IIRC all of it, was also there in the previous
>candidate standard. It's logical, I think. EVSB is meant to
>be a hierarchical modulation sort of service rather than a
>complete replacement of the 19.3 Mb/s channel. And even
>then, the ATSC seems to think it's okay to cut the capacity
>down to 8.5 or 4.3 Mb/s total, off prime time.
>
>The nice thing about E8-VSB is the way it permits very
>narrow robust channels to be created, taking away as little
>as possible from the wide stream capacity. It gives a lot
>of granularity in that way. On the other hand, it does not
>allow for fine tuning of the robustness of the whole 6 MHz
>band. That could have been done by directly changing the
>FEC used in the band, but such a scheme would not have been
>backward compatible. EVSB had to be layered over the 8-VSB,
>2/3 trellis, and RS[208,188] FEC that was already there.
>
>Anyway, it's still IMO well suited to the task you
>suggested. But here too, some field trials would be nice.
>
>Bert

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken Director, Advanced Technology

***********************************
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
HTML PAGE: 4436774425@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net
===================================

"America will never be destroyed
from the outside. If we falter
and lose our freedoms, it will be
because we destroyed ourselves."

~ ~ ~ Abraham Lincoln ~ ~ ~
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.