[opendtv] Re: [oldvtrs] So Much for HDTV]

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:38:21 -0400

I think decoder deblocking is fairly common, at least in software decoders like Xvid or DVD2AVI. They work best right in the decoder where they have access to the actual quantizer numbers used and so can make a fairly easy decision about how much to filter the edges of blocks.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
John Shutt wrote:

Given the computational power available today to even the most
lowly MPEG-2 decoder, some enterprising designer somewhere will
create an MPEG 2 decoder that recognizes severe macroblocking
and take steps to blend the edges of adjacent macroblocks to
reduce the obvious sharp edges during those times.

That's been done already, at least in a first generation product, by
Algolith. And certainly, this sort of solution makes a lot of sense
*given that* we have MPEG-2 deployed now, all over the DTV world.

As for the "Master Control in every home" concept, it sounds
good but until 100% of your receivers are thusly equipped, it
is absolutely useless. For an example, see the different audio
options built into ATSC.

The logo placement in the STB concept will only work in a walled
garden environment such as Cable Boxes or DBS receivers, where
the transmitter has full confidence in the compliance of all
receiving devices. OTA broadcast? N.E.V.E.R.

I know that Craig likes to believe that DTV should be just like a
computer. But even Craig has to admit that when he goes to a web site,
he is not able to rearrange the way a particular web page looks. He
might be able to open multiple web sites simultaneously, and he might be
able to overlap them to varying degrees, but the web page designer
doesn't allow him to change the location of all of the onjects he, the
designer, incorporated into his web pages.

Why should TV be any different?

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx