[opendtv] Re: [oldvtrs] So Much for HDTV]

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:18:53 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> If these capabilities can be added easily to a TV, then by
> inference, broadcasters could begin to offer capabilities
> that take advantage of the image processing engines in
> such TVs.
>
> There are two aspects of local composition that are
> relevant here:
>
> 1. The ability to add on screen "applets/widgets" that are
> useful to the viewer - imagine having a task bar/dock for
> your TV - pop it up and you could have direct links to
> your favorite channels, web pages, and widgets. The MAc
> Mini and Apple TV already support much of this as does
> Windows Media Center.

This is certainly doable with DTVs, if they start embedding general purpose
processors in them as that recent Intel article was describing. But the extent
to which these features will be used, even when/if DTV receivers will be
capable of processing them, will still remain under the control of the content
creator. Just as they are in web sites. You can't force the artist, and/or the
content owners, to allow the viewer to change his art, is what I'm trying to
get across. E.g. you can't assume that changing the location of the station
logo MUST be under the control of the viewer, even if in principle it could be.

> It's time to start thinking of that BIG, hi resolution,
> progressive scan display in the family room as more than
> a dumb terminal for people who want to veg out on the
> pabulum from the broadcast networks...

My first reaction is why, Craig? I've been hearing this "it's time to [make TVs
into PCs] ..." for years and years now, and apparently it doesn't take.

People are perfectly familiar with PCs these days. People are equally familiar
with TV. The article I posted the other day shows you that these overly
enthusiastic attempts at making PCs out of TVs have failed miserably time and
time again. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned here?

If you look at the interactive features people really want in their TVs, they
are almost all related to making *vegging out* more enjoyable. Things like
EPGs, VOD, and PVRs. The only real exception to this being game consoles, whose
half-life is so short that they are probably best kept as stand-alone STBs.