[opendtv] Re: [oldvtrs] So Much for HDTV]

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:21:51 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

That's been done already, at least in a first generation product, by
Algolith. And certainly, this sort of solution makes a lot of sense
*given that* we have MPEG-2 deployed now, all over the DTV world.

Algolith makes Broadcast gear, not consumer decoders, and I cannot find any documentation that their "BAR" Block Artifact Reducer technology is used in any consumer gear. Their noise reduction cards that include BAR operate in the SD-SDI and HD-SDI domains, post MPEG decoding.

What I am referring to should be easily implementable into every consumer MPEG-2 decoder chipset used in STBs, DVD players, and Digital Televisions. Fading to Macroblocks should be a thing of the past.

John