[opendtv] Re: object-based compression

  • From: "Donald Koeleman" <donald.koeleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 16:39:01 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 2:00 PM
Subject: [opendtv] Re: object-based compression

At 3:30 AM +0100 2/5/05, Donald Koeleman wrote:
>I seem to remember Philips' representative refering to the idea, but what
is
>the proof they came up with the concept, first!
>
>I see the Americans have completely brainwashed you, we mentioned
Football*.
>Onscreen, in-game ad-insertion or replacement is being done in many ways,
>without any mpeg 4 trickery, but considering your reference to mpeg 4, I
>assume you mean local replacement at the viewing location, most likely in
>some set-top-box, wich is indeed still a rare phenonema.
>
>Nice compression demo: http://www.enquad.com/ **
>
>http://lists.mpegif.org/pipermail/mp4-tech/2002-March/000620.html
>
>Donald
>* Don't care much for the game, so wouldn't mind anybody hiding the ball.
>** have they gone out of business? Full screen full motion video at 30
>Kbit/s sounds interesting

I saw the missing "football" demo years ago at IBC.

D: I guess I may have seen it there aswell, if it was '96 or later that
is...

That demo, and this thread, have completely missed the point about
object-based compression; it has virtually NOTHING to do with the
de-construction of natural (camera generated imagery) or the encoding
of finished (flattened) digital media content. In the end, Donald
seems to have swerved into the real implications for object based
video coding. It's ALL ABOUT local composition, in the set-top, media
center, or integrated receiver.

D:Well the demo I saw last week, did not do anything with local composition,
this point was indeed only just brought into the thread by Rob. Personaly I
have had this discussion many times over many years, with a mutual friend of
Rob and me (Martin are you still on this reflector?!).

But, object-based compression has other benefits over block-based
compression, especially in the
de-construction and re-construction of natural (camera generated imagery)
and the encoding of finished (flattened) digital media content. Scalability
is indeed one of them.

C: Rob and I commiserate from time-to-time, about the apparent lack of
interest in the "entire" MPEG-4 standard, which offers one of the
most comprehensive tool sets in the world for object based encoding,
with scalable reconstruction in the target decoder/display. After
years of effort to complete the MPEG-4 standard, the addition of Part
10 (aka AVC/H.264), is finally getting people to talk about MPEG-4.
Unfortunately this talk is mostly restricted to the boring old topic
of emission encoding of finished video streams.

D:Yeah all the IPTV vendors have totally disregarded MPEG 4's interface
capabilities and gone for other HTML and so on based menu's and
interactivity. BTW, in Germany Deutsche Telekom's adsl subsidiary is going
with MHP for its broadband tv service, yes that's right an
execution-engine-based interactivity client on a two-way network.

C: Fortunately, this picture may start to change soon. Object based
coding is alive and thriving in a world where the localization and
personalization of digital media IS happening. A world where content
is routinely encoded as objects to conserve bandwidth and support
scalable reconstruction - the World Wide Web.

Macromedia Flash is object based coding. Apple's QuickTime supports
virtually everything in MPEG-4 and more.

What is most important to this discussion, is the fact that ANY
QuickTime client can do local media composition now, while the
traditional TV set-top mentality is still locked into the notion that
people just want to watch channels  of streaming monotony.

A Mac Mini can put together very complex media compositions in real
time, with high quality image scaling and composition techniques that
were once the exclusive realm of expensive video switchers and
keyers. Everything can be anti-aliased, and each object can be
blended with transparency.

D: What has amazed me and others was, the very low power graphics card
included in the Mac Mini, considering I see cursor traces using an radeon
9200 128 Mbyte graphics card in this pc (no it isn't tft smearing, as I use
a crt monitor).

C: The wall around the protected kingdom of TV land is crumbling. In
another thread there is rampant speculation about the reasons that
the LG miracle chip is not finding its way into ATSC set-top boxes.
The pundits ask what the consumer will buy to replace that aging TV,
or to feed that HD capable monitor?

Could it be that the world has already passed by a misconceived DTV
standard, created not to enable, but rather to control the evolution
of what we call TV?

It really is pathetic - a year before this transition is supposed to
be over, broadcasters cannot even figure out how to get PSIP right -
how to deliver a meaningful EPG.  How can they possible compete in a
world where competitors will be delivering customized content to
uniquely identifiable viewers?