[opendtv] Re: (no subject), i.e. the future of TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 15:31:44 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Me thinks this guy gets it!
>
> I've included the tease, but the charts help tell the story, so please
> click through. But will Bert get it too? Maybe; once he realizes this
> story is not about Apple...

I guess my reaction to stories like this is, how come everyone is so stupid?

I totally agree that the TV makers are bonkers. They are crazy, because instead
of designing useful "thin clients" as their new connected TVs, they allowed
themselves to get suckered into unnecessarily crippled designs, with no
flexibility, and just begging to become obsolete in two years' time.

And consumers are no better. Those who want to have their TVs connected to the
web feel compelled to go for solutions like AppleTV or GoogleTV. Why? Aren't
these same people completely familiar with web browsing on the PCs, on their
tablets, and on their smartphones? Do they need "AppleTV" to browse the web on
these devices? Do they need a particular search engine? So, why assume that the
TV solution has to be different?

Are you telling me that consumers don't know that they can watch Netflix, or
Amazon, or Hulu and Hulu Plus, on their PCs and tablets?

As to this "second screen" idea, again, what's the big deal? It's very simple
to control all screens the same way, individually. But if you want to have a
master-slave design, heavens only knows why, surely that can't be so difficult,
right? You transmit a baseband signal from whatever toy tablet you have, to the
big screen TV, via either HDMI or via a 60 GHz wireless variant of HDMI. It's
just that I don't see the attraction. What could be easier than controlling
your TV via a remote mouse, for heaven's sake? Who needs that "second screen"
to control the blasted TV, when a remote mouse can do the same thing with just
one screen?

So in short, it's a bit like the Best Buy salesman that makes you feel like you
need cable to get HDTV. Consumers should just wake up and figure it out on
their own. This stuff is not rocket science.