[opendtv] Re: (no subject) - Hulu

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 14:51:05 -0400

That's my reaction too.

I have little trouble seeing that eventually, soon now, FOTA broadcast TV could be a thing of the past, replaced by FOTI TV, as well as paid Internet TV services. And honestly, I see any trend to replace the current FOTA infrastructure with a two-way cellular infrastructure as a way to accelerate the switch-over.

Agreed on Hulu. Just proves that the broadcasters don't care much about the OTA audience. They want the retrans consent dollars, so hooking up with cable is the desired outcome.

Matter of fact, my wife is registered with Amazon in whatever category it is that provides free shipping. Along with that, we can access all sorts of movies online, at Amazon. So this sort of business model is a bit of a hybrid, and any number similar ones, over the Internet, are possible. I continue to watch MOST of my non-live TV on the congloms' own web sites these days, rather than using Hulu.

This is also part of the strategy that you will see with wireless...already is in some cases like Comcast. Your MVPD subscription is required to access the same content via both wired and wireless.

They will make most of the pre-produced content available to Bert's "walled gardens," but it will be too expensive to use these ala carte services versus the MVPD bundles. What could be even more of a blow would be if they start making live content (sports, American idol, etc.) available ONLY to MVPD subscribers over wireless networks.

The obvious goal here is to create the perception that they are making your subscription more valuable by allowing you to access their content on your mobile screens. And we are not talking about just 3G/4G. Being able to watch the same channels on your iPad via your in-home Wi-Fi network (connected to broadband) is even more important. They want to control those screens too!

Yet Bert continues to be concerned about the so called "walled gardens," who are little more than stores, not unlike the Tower Records of yesteryear and the Walmarts and Targets of today.

Unless there's a lot of underhanded crooked deals/bribes going on, it seems unlikely that FOTI TV, or TV + other bennies, will disappear. If Hulu bows out, no one needs to care. That's the beauty of Internet carriage, actually. No one needs to feel beholden to Apple, or Netflix, or any other walled garden, unless they seriously lack imagination.

Just the evolution of retailing and technology. Sony used the CD Walkman to promote the sale of music on CDs...