[opendtv] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 10:11:47 -0400

On May 14, 2013, at 7:16 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Even Macchiavelli knew that you cannot govern a country if you keep doing
> what people don't want. Same applies here. MVPDs need to re-optimize their
> infrastructures into Internet networks, and the bean counters at the major
> networks need to develop new models.

Did Macchiavelli take into consideration the reality that many people want the
government to redistribute the wealth of those who are productive, and that
eventually governments fail when the producers get fed up?

Given the news coming out of your home town this week, one might conclude that
the government is doing many things that "some people" don't want. Then again,
some people could care less, or even rush to support these tactics.

I see no evidence that the people are worried about the way they are being
taken advantage of by government enabled media oligopolies.

Yes, the technology is going to change; clearly the cable industry needs to
reclaim the analog spectrum and move to an all IP distribution infrastructure.
As long as it takes an MVPD subscription to access high value content on new
devices via the Internet, the infrastructure changes are irrelevant. The
politicians are not going to turn the anti-trust guns on the media. And the
people are not going to cut the cord unless they choose to become TV nevers.

The network bean counters will do as they always have; adapt to the
opportunities that new technologies enable to protect and extend their
oligopolies.

The best chance for change is if content creators choose to use the Internet to
go direct and bypass the congloms. This is starting to happen in the music
industry.