[opendtv]

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 22:40:08 +0200

Mark Shubin wrote:
>  we might be insensitive to detail
> at 30 cpd unless it has huge contrast, and few displays can offer
> huge
> pixel-to-pixel contrast even were lenses and cameras able to deliver
> it.
>
> (NHK's acuity tests on
> their subjects, prior to their tests of displays, showed a
> high-contrast
> acuity of roughly 60 cpd, not 30).

I hope this NHK study is suitably old. I would be a bit suspicious if,
just as 4k screens are around the corner, someone comes up and says "oh,
by the way our new study shows that we were wrong, it is not 30 cpd, it
is 60, sorry".

60 cpd would justify 4k in the home but you appear to doubt current
displays have enough contrast for even 30. Hence 4k introduction would
need to be synchronized with newer displays (laser projection based?) i
wonder if this would cause a rise in energy consumption of TV screens.

> In the U.S., 30-cpd acuity is described as 20/20, the 20 referring to
> viewing distance in feet.   Your previously-mentioned
> six-foot viewing distance is only a third of the way there.

Ok so 6.5 feet is not infinity for the HVS, and needs some focusing
effort that may be beyond the capability of some advanced presbiopic
cases. Now  i understand your point.