[opendtv] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 06:57:01 -0500

At 3:14 PM -0500 1/5/11, John Shutt wrote:
Get real, Craig. People who already own an iPad will download the app, play with it once or twice, then forget about it in a week.

Maybe they'll break it out again when they have company over and want to do a "watch this" with it, or if like me they get frustrated because the kids lost the remote in the couch cushions somewhere.

But just because an app is downloaded 350,000 times does not spell the death of the traditional TV/Cable box remote. Not by a long shot.

As I said, get real.

Take a chill pill John.

Nobody said the cable or TV remote are going away tomorrow, or even next year.

What we are talking about here is the future and what it will look like.

I disagree that people are going to use the Comcast app once or twice and forget it. But even more important, the ability for Comcast subscribers to stream almost everything they can access via the cable box to their iPADs and iPhones is going to be a big deal; it may be the feature that keeps people from cutting the cord.

Perhaps you should spend a little time with people who have iPADs before disparaging them. There is a reason that perhaps the most important new product category at CES is tablet computers.