[opendtv] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:46:16 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> I feel the need to point out here, since this seems to be missed so often on
> this site, that the issue here is not a lack of interest in the programming
> of FOTA TV networks. Nor is it unwillingness to pay the subscription fee that
> may result from the retrans concent agreement.
>
> On the contrary, MVPD subscribers are up in arms that they might lose this
> programming, and that's what the lawmakers are responding to. People wants
> the FOTA channels, and they are willing to pay for them in order to get
> drop-dead easy reception, I have to conclude.
>
> So be it. Perhaps the MVPDs should think in terms of not carrying the FOTA
> signals, but sending out "antennisti" to erect appropriate antennas for their
> interested customers. In the long run, I think OTA may be better for it. Not
> to mention that the FCC would have to think twice before yanking away any of
> the spectrum.
>
> Bert

Actually I am NOT willing to pay extra for the FOTA channels.  As I have
posted before, the HD version of the FOTA channels are no longer
available to limited basic Comcast customers in my area.  It takes an
extra premium package, in my case the monthly rental of an HD STB that
sits unplugged on the shelf just so Comcast will keep the filters off on
those channels.  And I have indeed been told they would put the filters
back on if I stop renting the unused box.  I will be canceling Comcast
TV as soon as my extended teaser rate goes away again.

But it still irks me that I would have to pay quite a bit extra to get
to the next tier due to the bundling involved.  If I could just purchase
a very minimum package I would consider it but the ante is becoming too
high for me to stay in the game much longer.  Historically,  forcing
major bundling on any large group of consumers when you are a monopoly
has led eventually to government anti-trust action.

- Tom