[opendtv] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:07:49 -0500

At 2:20 PM -0500 12/15/09, Tom Barry wrote:
In this case we apparently were talking about ESPN.  I could imagine
them with proprietary boxes selling 1080p/60 high end premium services
to sports bars or possibly sports videophiles.  But probably not on ATSC
broadcast since you would lose any possible existing viewers that way
and for a premium service with special receivers you would almost
certainly want to switch to AVC encoding.

And at most any reasonable bit rate I'd expect any improvement over
720p/60 to be marginal with todays equipment.  But who knows? Maybe I'll
be pleasantly surprised.

This raises some interesting possibilities, especially for the MVPDs who can deploy specialized receivers to a small portion of their subscribers.

But the question of how to produce the content in 1080@60P still comes into play. IT is unlikely that ESPN would build a fleet of 1080@60P trucks to As riginate sporting events to a small nche audience. They already own the space and made the correct decision when they chose 720@60P.

But HDNet could use 1080@60P to rebuild their fortunes, after making the WRONG choice with 1080@30i. They could deliver 1080@60P to cable head ends today using h.264 compression, and then convert to MPEG-2 720P for existing receivers. And when 1080@60P h.264 boxes are ready to deploy, they will have content ready for them. All this would take is one or two trucks that HDNet could build to produce most of their events.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The CE guys are already losing interest in HD, now that the displays are reaching commodity price levels and margins are thin. Looks like the next big thing for them is 3D HDTV. Unfortunatley they won't have broadcasters and government mandates to help them force the transition to 3D.